We often get asked if our buildings require council approval as there is a lot of confusion in the councils surrounding portable buildings.


Generally, any building which includes plumbing, electrical and is over 20sqm will require council approval.


When looking to purchase a portable building you need to be aware of the Building Code of Australia (BCA) requirements in order to get the building approved through your council. You will need to ensure that any building you purchase complies with these requirements or you may end up being asked to remove the building.


Below are a few notes which can help you:


  • When approaching your local council you will need to ensure to advise them that this is a portable building/manufactured building and is being manufactured off site and delivered to your location once complete

  • Minimum Wall Height – As part of the Australian code all structures must have an internal wall height of 2.4 metres. Most of the transportable homes you can buy have cathedral (or raked) ceilings. This means the ceiling is angled and follows the line of the pitched roof. You need to ensure that the lowest point is at the correct ceiling height

  • Structural Engineering - Under the BCA, all metal structures erected in Australia must have a Structural Compliance Certificate from an Engineer which certifies that the structure complies with the BCA and all relevant Australian Standards.

  • As granny flats are manufactured off site they fall under Section 68 of the Local Government Act”. This means that you will not need to complete a Basix Certificate and the approval process is similar to a DA (Development Approval)

  • The good news is that if you get your Section 68 Approval (S68), you wont need a Construction Certificate (CC)



By law, the minimum site requirements for a Granny Flat include:


  • Property must be a minimum 450m2 in area

  • Property must be zoned residential

  • Maintain a 3.0m setback from the rear and 0.9m from side boundaries

  • Maintain a distance of 3.0m from any existing trees that are over 4m in height

  • Maximum 60m2 external area for your granny flat


If you have any questions you should give your local council a call to see what their requirements are.


You can also find a private certifier to make the application for you and assist in the approval process.